Have an idea for a start-up company based on your research in the life sciences?
Innovation UBC is proud to launch its first venture idea competition. This initial competition will focus on venture ideas in the life sciences. We encourage UBC students and researchers with an idea for a life sciences start-up to enter. Ideas may include new drugs, diagnostics, medical devices or health management platforms.
Find out more about the competition and our education sessions below.
- Leverage the joint expertise and resources of Innovation UBC's University Industry Liaison Office (UILO), entrepreneurship @UBC (e @UBC) and Innovation Partnership teams
- Learn about a wide range of venture-creation topics through our series of education sessions
- Win cash prizes and professional business services including legal services and patenting
- Build your network and connections through our pitch competition and reception
Who can enter?
Teams must have at least one member whose UBC research is the basis for the team's start-up idea. This member can be a UBC graduate student, post-doctoral fellow, research associate or faculty member.
The competition ideas should be at a stage that is pre-incorporation of a company and must be in the life sciences, medical or bioinformatics areas, and can range from new drugs and diagnostics to medical devices and health management platforms.
Please note, if you have completed Phase 2 or later of the e @UBC incubator program you are not eligible to enter this competition.
How do you enter?
- Register your interest through our brief registration form
- Competition entrants are expected to attend all of our education sessions (sessions begin on Wednesday January 22)
Learn more about the start-up process at education sessions leading up to the business plan submission deadline. Sessions will be led by Innovation UBC experts on topics including:
- Introduction to Intellectual Property
- Introduction to the Value Proposition
- Introduction to Competition and Market Analysis
- Introduction to Funding and Grants
- Pitching 101 for Start-up Companies
- Submit your new venture idea
Teams will be asked to provide the following information:
- a description of the problem that your innovation solves and who experiences the problem
- a non-confidential summary of the technology and product
- the value proposition for your innovation; a description of the market for the product; a summary of the competitive landscape; and details on the team composition.
Online applications must be submitted via the New Venture Idea application webpage, with a deadline to submit by Tuesday March 3.
Teams who submit an application will be asked to attend a Meet and Greet session on March 4 where we will discuss the venture idea review and provide further details for pitch competition event.
- Selected ideas will advance to our pitch competition.
The winning teams will be announced and the prizes awarded at the pitch competition.
What can you win?
- $1,500 cash prize, up to $2,500 in start-up legal services through entrepreneurship @UBC and up to $8,000 in provisional patent services through UILO
- $1,000 cash prize, up to $2,500 in start-up legal services through entrepreneurship @UBC and up to $8,000 in provisional patent services through UILO
- $500 cash prize, up to $2,500 in start-up legal services through entrepreneurship @UBC and up to $8,000 in provisional patent services through UILO
How will the competition be judged?
Following an initial assessment of your written submission conducted by Innovation UBC, shortlisted competition entries will be judged by a panel of industry leaders. Select applicants will be invited to present at the final pitch competition on Thursday April 30.
Have any questions?
Please contact Lynsey Huxham